Ten things you need to know about the
Argyle Diamonds Ord Valley Muster
Kicking off the tourism season in Western Australia’s north-east is the 10-day spectacular, the Argyle Diamonds Ord Valley Muster, held in Kununurra from 11 to 22 May. Now in its 18th year, the Muster as it’s affectionately known, like all good events has evolved. Here are 10 things you need to know about this year’s Ord Valley Muster:
- The Kimberley Fine Diamonds Dinner is the new name for the former Corporate Circle, the most prestigious and lavish annual event in the region with sophistication never before seen in Kununurra. Kimberley locals and visitors dress to impress as they dine and dance the night away under a big star-filled night sky. It includes river boat transfers, a pink carpet entrance, a celebrity moment, exclusive dance floor, champagne, canapés and a full sit-down multi-course dinner by the acclaimed Heyder & Shears with bottled Happs Wines. The Kimberley Fine Diamonds Celebrity Moment enables patrons the opportunity to try on a selection of exquisite Kimberley Fine Diamonds handcrafted jewellery and then pose for waiting paparazzi. This is the glamorous half of the Aviair HeliSpirit Kimberley Moon Experience.
- The Aviair HeliSpirit Kimberley Moon Experience on Saturday 19 May 2018, is held on the banks of the Ord River and is the Kimberley’s biggest party, headlined this year by country music royalty Lee Kernaghan OAM and Melbourne party band The Cat Empire. Bring a blanket, pack a picnic and enjoy a fantastic evening of entertainment that includes a winning performance from Muster Idol, the captivating Mirima Dancers and the incredible Indigenous Hip Hop Project presented by OVAHS & Tackling Indigenous Smoking.
- The Ord Valley FEASTival presented by Kununurra Country Club Resort is a new addition to the Ord Valley Muster calendar this year, think of it as an extension of the previous Kimberley Kitchen. Held at the Muster Festival Hub on Wednesday 16 May 2018, there’ll be cooking demonstrations by Bondi Harvest chef Guy Turland and MKR’s favourite mother and son team, semi finalists Anna and Jordan Bruno. Plus there’s tastings from WA based Happs from their iSeries wines, locally made Hoochery Distillery Rum, bush cooking as well as demonstrations by local chefs including the Kununurra Country Club’s Head Chef, Stephen Bhana and expert panel discussions. Don’t miss the Producers Village with food by The Chia Co, a Sri Lankan Barramundi Feast, Ute Diedrichsen’s local artisan bread, Kimberley Wild Gubinge, Boab products, Kimberley Honey, local Chef Rick Dyson cooking up a storm with his Middle Eastern dishes featuring locally grown chick peas and Gourmet Camp Oven Cooking from Lake Argyle Adventures.
- The new Muster Hub, a central venue that’ll host the hilarious Melbourne International Comedy Festival Roadshow and foodie haven FEASTival, transforming the Jim Hughes Amphitheatre into the Muster’s entertainment HQ.
- Prepare for big belly laughs at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival Roadshow on Monday 14 May and Tuesday 15 May 2018 with an exciting line up that includes renowned comedians Eleanor Tiernan (UK), Sean Choolburra, Nick Cody and Dilruk Jayasinha who you might recognise as a regular on Network Ten’s Have You Been Paying Attention? and as an actor in ABC TV’s award winning Utopia. A definite Muster highlight – tickets selling fast.
- Look up. For the first time, entertainment at the Kimberley Moon Experience will take to the skies during the Aviair HeliSpirit Aerobatic Spectacular. Withstanding forces of up to 7G, two pilots will perform technical aerial manoeuvres in an air show never before seen at the ‘Moon’ that’ll wow the crowd and elevate the event’s excitement to the next level.
- The hugely popular The Chia Co. Yoga Boats have been extended and expanded, just like a deep cleansing breath to include more cruises and the new The Chia Co. Yoga Land. Roll out your mat at Celebrity Tree Park on 6am on Monday 14 May and Thursday 17 May, tickets still available and include free coffee. The sold-out Chia Co. Yoga Boats cruise to Packsaddle Lagoon will be held from 6am to 8am Saturday 12 May, Sunday 13 May, Wednesday 16 May and Friday 18 May 2018 and those lucky enough to have a ticket will also receive a healthy breakfast. Yoga Teacher Wendy Jones is a trained in the tradition of Krishnamacharya.
- Getting locals more involved than ever. Hear from some of them yourself as food and agricultural experts answer questions during two FEASTival Q&A panel sessions; Women in Agriculture at 5.15pm and From Sugar to Super Foods – the Pioneers of the East Kimberley at 6.30pm on Wednesday 16 May, at the Muster Hub.
- This year the Kimberley Rugby League’s Town v Country match will open the Argyle Diamonds Ord Valley Muster on Friday 11 May and the Horizon Power Float Parade and Street Party and Diamond Dig will close the festival 10 days later on Sunday 20 May 2018.
More information, tickets and schedules can be found at www.ordvalleymuster.com.au
The State Government is a proud supporter of the event through Tourism WA's Regional Events Program.
Argyle Diamonds Ord Valley Muster
- 11 - 20 May 2018
- The Kimberley’s biggest showcase event
- 30 events across 10 exciting days creating lifelong memories
- Ancient untouched land creates a magical backdrop and an extraordinary holiday