Celebrating the achievements of inspirational Melburnians
NOMINATIONS are now open for the prestigious Melbourne Awards, recognising the positive contributions of individuals and organisations to the local community.
Lord Mayor Sally Capp said this year's Melbourne Awards would mark 20 years of celebrating locals shaping the city for the better.
“The Melbourne Awards are our city’s highest accolade, recognising the talented Melburnians who make extraordinary contributions to our community," Cr Capp said.
“Over the past two decades, we’ve been shining a light on the incredible work of so many Victorians who have gone above and beyond to drive innovation, create inclusive communities, ignite our creative sector and share ideas about the future of our city.
“Our people make our city the great place that it is, and we want to showcase their efforts. If you know an inspirational Melburnian, nominate their work for a Melbourne Award.”
There are eight categories for the 2022 Melbourne Awards:
- Community – celebrating projects and activities that enhance the wellbeing of residents.
- Knowledge and Innovation – recognising bold ideas shaping the city’s bright future.
- Arts and Events – highlighting work to build Melbourne’s reputation as Australia’s cultural capital.
- Urban Design – showcasing projects and organisations that are shaping the city’s skyline.
- Hospitality – acknowledging the restaurants, bars and hospitality venues creating unforgettable experiences.
- Sustainability – focusing on positive contributions to the environment and initiatives that educate, connect and inspire others.
- Aboriginal Melbourne - Ganbu Guljin – promoting work that improves cultural understanding and supports the Aboriginal community.
- LGBTIQ+ – shining a light on efforts to support and promote diversity, social connection and participation.
Previous Melbourne Award winners include the creators of compostable cling wrap, the developers of an app to support health care workers, and a program supporting Aboriginal art in prison.
Applications for the 2022 Melbourne Awards are open from May 2 to June 30. For more information or to nominate someone, visit the Melbourne Awards website.
Winners will be announced at the Melbourne Awards ceremony in November as part of a special televised broadcast on Channel 9.