MINISTER for Defence Industry, Christopher Pyne MP, has announced Naval Group has released expressions of interest and requests for information to help get Australian industry involved in Australia’s Future Submarines.
Mr Pyne said Naval Group was seeking Australian industry ‘know how’ as the $50 billion Future Submarine Program continued to gather momentum.
“The Turnbull Government is committed to a sovereign naval shipbuilding capability and this includes 12 regionally superior submarines for our Navy,” Mr Pyne said.
“These submarines will be built in Australia, by Australians, which will maximise local industry involvement in all phases of the program."
So far around 130 companies have been pre-qualified by Naval Group to be part of the program.
“Naval Group continues to support the Turnbull Government in this endeavour and is looking to Australian industry to manufacture and supply critical equipment and other common technologies for the submarines," Mr Pyne said.
“Opportunities exist for Australian industry to provide everything from electrical, mechanical, heating and air conditioning equipment, to castings, steel and titanium products.
“This is part of a wider suite of activities aimed at collecting information on industry’s capability to supply products and technologies required to manufacture and sustain the Future Submarines in Australia.
“These are the first major equipment information requests released by Naval Group, with more scheduled for release progressively throughout 2018, and complemented by the continuation of industry briefing days.
“Australian industry involvement in the Future Submarine Program is expected to generate an annual average of around 2,800 jobs over the life of the Program,” Mr Pyne said.
Companies wanting to know more about the program or respond to Naval Group’s request can visit the Future Submarine Industry Capability Network Gateway:
The deadline for interested companies is January 5, 2018.